Re: Weber V. Stromberg

To: rdowty@wans.net
Subject: Re: Weber V. Stromberg
From: triumph@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 98 16:17:29 PDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Ronald A. Dowty wrote:
        > Are the Webers going to perform much better?

Ron, as I am about to go down that path myself, I've spoken to a lot
of people.  The only reason I can see that triple Webers are better
than double (or Dick Good's triple) Strombergs is on sex appeal alone.
A stack of Webers IS a beautiful sight.

Strombergs cost approx $120 each to rebuild and rebush, plus air
cleaners.  No additional parts needed.  Brain-dead to set up.  Total cost
so far is $300.

Webers cost $150 each to rebuild, and figure in an additional $40
for all the itty-bitty pieces that you will have to play with.  Plus
air filters.  You wont need vacume advance anymore, so a new dizzy will
be nice too ($150).  Cost so far is $720.  I've known some
folk to spend the equivalent of $1000-$2000 (20-40 hours) in shop time
to set them up.

Webers breath deep, and will work well on a hot motor.  I'd suggest
at least 10:1 compression and a meaty cam.

On a stock (US) motor, the Webers will most likley be a dog, in that
your motor will never breath enough through them, and you'll be triggering
the idle circuit (or whatever it is you Weber guys talk about) all the time.
The accelerator pumps will flood the motor, so it will likley bog down when
you hit the throttle.

So IMHO Webers are a poor choice.

But then I also think it is a rite-of-passage for any sports car
enthusiast.  They are overwhelmingly sexy :) and I want a set for my car!

So when you are finished. let me know, and I'll buy them from you.

        Shane Ingate in San Diego