ATDI '98 - aftermath

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: ATDI '98 - aftermath
From: "Fiona Bayrock" <fbayrock@rapidnet.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 23:10:51 -0700
Hi all,

The decompression from the weekend has begun, and I thought that I'd let
you guys know how the 1998 All Triumph Drive-In went.

First, the preamble - the BC Triumph Registry, the Washington Tyee Triumph
Club, and the Portland Triumph Owners Association annually hold an All
Triumph Drive-in, and each club hosts the event in turn.  This year the
honors went to the BCTR, and was held August 7 thru 9 in Chilliwack BC.

Statistically, this is one of the best attended ATDIs.  We had 115 people
registerred, and over 105 vehicles took part in the vehicle show at Minter
Gardens. We held numerous drives (2 on the Friday, and a choice from 3 on
Saturday after the garden show), had over 180 people attend the awards
banquet, most stayed for the pancake breakfast on Sunday, and I suspect
that 50 or so stuck around Sunday for the funkhana.  In short, it was very
busy...

The weather was terrific. It was neither too hot nor too sunny.  The
gardens on Saturday were in full bloom, and it was filled with Triumphs of
all sorts.  A Roadster 2000 took 'best of show' honors, but it wasn't the
rarest vehicle around.  We also had in attendance an Italia 2000, a
Mayflower, and a Triumph-badged Atlas Major van. There were more TR6s than
almost all the other types put together, the TR8s outnumbered the TR7s, the
TR250s matched the TR4/4As ...

We were supposed to have a Triumph motorcycle in the show too, but the 1997
bike had engine problems and couldn't be put together in time to make the
event.  ;)

We will have detailed class results and photos published on our web site,
but we're just decompressing for now.  Check out our site in a couple of
weeks at http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/bc_triumph_registry .

Some of my passing thoughs on the event were:
 - 100 Triumphs in a hotel parking lot were something else!
 - there were 2 pristene GT6s in the Spit/GT6 class - they came in 1 and 2
in class
 - the 'rusty wrench' award was also won by a GT6, but not mine. But maybe
I should have gotten it as my GT6 broke down on the highway only 5 miles
away from home.
 - Huxley, Joe Currie's Spitfire came 3rd in a tough class
 - you know that the TR6 with the air cleaner sticking out of the bonnet
isn't quite stock anymore
 - the wedges are beginning to look better and better every year.  I
especially liked the bright orange one, (and my SO thinks I'm nuts)
 - I would quickly trade all my GT6s and associated paraphanelia for a good
Stag (and then I could start collecting GT6s again ;)  )

Anyway, it was a great event.  Thanks to all of you who attended and helped
make this a memorable time.

Michael
(on vacation at fbayrock@rapidnet.net)
1971 GT6++ (one step forward, 3 steps back)
1970 GT6+ (the a-arm connects to the frame-mount, the ...)