TR6 engine going into a Spit...and compression...

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 engine going into a Spit...and compression...
From: "Michael Noerregaard" <m_noerregaard@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 22:52:45 PDT
Fellow Scions

When I get done putting my PI engine into my '74 TR6 US-version (with a
straight and solid body) - which probably will be around X-mas given the
progress I am making right now - I will have a sound US-carb version TR6
engine sitting around. A very good friend of mine runs a nice little
Spit, and he would REALLY like to try and fit the TR6 engine in his
little car. We both know that he has to take the engine and transmission
together, get a new bonnet - and probably have to do a bunch of work
with the rear diff and the brakes. But has that been done before by
anyone on the list? I have heard of 2 liter Spits - but since I sold
both my GT6's more than a year ago, his only option for now is my 2.5L
engine :)

Secondly, I took my old Sears compression tester out yesterday and
tested both engines while hot. The carb version showed around 155 psi
across all six (US spec compression, 1974-version), and the PI showed
all six cylinders to be between 195 and 205 psi. For what such a
compression test is worth, this should indicate fairly sound engines,
right?

Thanks again for all  the advise I have been getting on the
fuel-injectors and commission numbers in earlier mails.

Cheers,

Michael
´71 TR6 PI
´74 TR6 US-spec carb-version