Re: tree gook

To: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: tree gook
From: Allen Nugent <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 11:28:58 +1000 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Malcolm,

At 14:36 8/08/98 -0700, you wrote:

>However I notice that the paint on the Olds is covered with brown "blips",
>I think it is hardened tree sap.
>
>They don't want to come off!  I have tried soaps, solvents (even acetone)
>- I can get it off with careful fingernail scraping but I don't want to go
>over the whole car like that.  I also don't want to use something too
>harsh and risk pulling the paint right off.
>
>I haven't tried buffing compound (turtle wax Red Stuff) yet.  Regular
>"hard shell" turtle wax doesn't do a heckuva lot.  Any ideas?

This reply is not so much helpful as encouraging: I have seen a product that
claims to work on tree sap, but I can't remember what it is (it might be by
Meguirs); keep looking.

You might try kerosene (it's good for removing masking tape).

Bloody trees! If they're not dripping sap and shedding leaves and needles
all over your car, then they're harbouring those feathered, flying
deficators. Let's develop a car that runs on CO2 and emits O2, then we can
chop all the rotten things down!

Allen Nugent
Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering
University of New South Wales
Sydney  2052  Australia