Re: TR4 rear fender

To: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: TR4 rear fender
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 15:09:51 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: The Usual Suspects <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Malcolm Walker wrote:

> I'm starting to feel a little suspicious about my rear fender.
>
> It requires much welding & repair work around the entire perimeter - which
> leads me to wonder, is it really a TR6 fender?
>
> And today I found evidence of dark brown paint under some undercoating.
> (Russet brown?)  I didn't think this was a TR4 color.

        It might be red oxide primer... Common to many body shops as a
        rust preventative base coat.

        I don't think there would be a way to put a TR6 fender on a `4
        without a LOT of REALLY creative body work... Almost as much as
        if the body man was to panel beat an entirely new TR4 fender.

        To do it even passibly would take a deft hand in deed with a hammer,
        and more than a quarter inch of bondo... I had to repair a front
        fender on my `4 it had been smacked and repaired at least 2X
        prior to it coming into my care. Once the metal had been hammered
        roughly to shape it was about 1/2" too large at the nose. Metal
        shrinking probably wouldn't help this very fatigued steel. After
        Brazing the front piece back on the fender, I had to fill the area
        in question with fiberglass batting and then brace it with fiberglass
        sheet for strength then I filed the exterior to shape... actually
        contouring the fender through the steel to the fiberglass. Bondo
        would have been too delicate for this location.

        I had the  time to do this, but not the money to replace the fender.

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois