Re: brake line bending? dim bulbs? am I out of gas yet?

To: Coday Family <coday@localaccess.com>
Subject: Re: brake line bending? dim bulbs? am I out of gas yet?
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 1998 12:20:11 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Sat, 8 Aug 1998, Coday Family wrote:

> I think I can shape the new line successfully even without a brake
> line bender if I am patient and deliberate.  Anybody have any success
> bending the brake lines without a bender?

A brake line bender might be useful for "tight" bends. However, I've bent
many a line very successfully using a piece of large diameter metal pipe
(say 2" or so) and even with glass bottles and jars. It doesn't take a
lot of strength or pressure. The secret is to keep the pipe against
whatever you use as a form while you're bending the pipe around it. It's
all too easy to kink the pipe if you don't "guide" it against something
(which is what the bender does). Without bragging, I will say that I've
made exact duplicates of some complex hydraulic lines, such as the clutch
pipe on a Herald or Spitfire, which takes several bends, then a triple
loop and then some more bends. ;-)

> Is there a problem with using standard bulbs such as the 1157's in
> the TR3's?  I took note of the recent thread on bulbs, higher
> wattage, more heat etc, but it seemed to me that no one said stay
> with the TR standards.

I don't think that the slight extra wattage of an 1157 would cause you
any grief. On the contrary, I'd think it a benefit. Lamps on the TR3 are
small enough as they are; the extra brightness could only be a benefit!

Oh, and regarding the fuel gauge, the article "Experiments with the TR3
Fuel Level Gauge" appeared in issue #67 of VTR's _The Vintage Triumph_
magazine. Let me know if you'd be interested in getting a copy.

--Andy