Re: TR ergonomics

To: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Subject: Re: TR ergonomics
From: Dana & Jane Du Fresne <pumacon@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 1998 10:11:55 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Philip E. Barnes wrote:

> Purists in the audience may wish to avert their gaze for this one.
>
> I am a big proponent of making a car comfortable and efficient to drive.
> This usually involves all the "control surfaces" in the cockpit: seat,
> steering wheel and pedals. I fitted a Moto-Lita wheel with a fat leather
> rim, which is easy to grip and has a larger surface area so the road can be
> better felt. The latest change I made was to fit a 3-piece set of "sport"
> pedals. These are oversize pedals that fit over the stock units. They
> effectively make the pedals closer together, so it is now much easier for
> heel-toe downshifts. The other advantage is hard braking is much easier on
> the foot, as the load is spread over a larger area. I adjusted the position
> of the accelerator pedal so that it falls in the same plane as the brake
> when the brake pedal is depressed, again facilitating downshifts.
>
> If I find some modern seats that don't spoil the look of the car, I'll let
> you know, although the stock seats are not too bad.
>
> Phil Barnes (peb3@cornell.edu)
> Cortland, NY (nowhere near New York City)
> '71 TR6  CC61193L (21 year owner)
>
> Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Sounds great, let me know how you do!!  I am 6'6'' tall and fit like a
glove in my '72 6.  I've removed the inside door handle and kidney cover
under the dash to give my legs some more room.  I could still use a
little more though.  I played with the idea of lowering the seat and
pushing it back further that the seat slide will allow, but nothing
started yet.

I'm sure there must be other tall drivers out there, any more ideas?

Dana
'72 TR6