Re: electrical drain from alternator - 75 TR6

To: 105671.471@compuserve.com, Huppertc@aol.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: electrical drain from alternator - 75 TR6
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 20:06:29 EDT
In a message dated 98-08-07 17:12:37 EDT, 105671.471@compuserve.com writes:

> The only rheostat I know of is the one for the panel lights.  And the
>  there should not be a purple wire connected to it.  The wire should be
>  red (from the light switch).  The purple wire is ON all the time and
>  hence your panel lights will be on as well.

Dave,

Right, as usual. I only wish the producers of the owners manual's, and the
schematics included in them, were as accurate. I responded in exactly the same
way, and got a response back from Carl that the rheostat had both a purple and
a blue wire on it. This scared me, and I looked into the schematic and found
that it identified the headlight dimmer as the "panel rheostat." This is for
only the '75 owner's manual.

Jeez, no wonder we have problems with the electricals in these cars!

Anyway, in an off-list response, I have conveyed the correct info to Carl, but
I thought this was important enough to respond to the whole list with.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74