Re: electrical drain from alternator - 75 TR6

To: Huppertc@aol.com
Subject: Re: electrical drain from alternator - 75 TR6
From: Allen Nugent <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 11:00:34 +1000 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At 20:38 6/08/98 EDT, you wrote:

>The first is from the alternator.  Both brown wires that plug into the
>alternator are draining power with engine off and key out of ignition.  Why?
>What could cause this?

Dunno, but I once had my alternator rebuilt because of an "internal short".

They must be the single-most unreliable Lucas component. I had a rectifier
fail on one that was under warranty, and then the brushes, followed by a
bearing, after the warranty ran out. If it fails again, I'll get my
autoelectrician (who, BTW, is putting a 3.5-litre into his TR6) to find a GM
or Bosch unit that fits!

Allen Nugent
Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering
University of New South Wales
Sydney  2052  Australia