Re: TR4 misfiring

To: LLong@Kollmorgen.com
Subject: Re: TR4 misfiring
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 11:05:39 EDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

>  Suggests to me that
>  the ZS's aren't getting fuel...but she acts like she is misfiring.
>  Plugs, wires, coil are all fine...I checked them.
>  Question is...what is the best way to check and see if the pump is
>  pumping?

Pull the fuel line on either the input side of the carbs or output side of the
fuel pump, turn over the engine and see if fuel comes out of the line (or
pump).  If it does not then your fuel pump is not operating correctly or the
fuel lines are clogged from the tank or between the pump and the carbs.  If
fuel does come out then check your points and condensor.  (If they are OK you
have a carb problem - but this latter  is rare in thwhat you describe).

However, a note on the gas pedal:

You wrote:
>  I'm pumping the
>  hell out of the gas petal but no smell of gasoline.

That's a problem.  When starting the engine -- DO NOT pump CD type
carburettors.  It does absolutely nothing.  In fact it disrupts the proper
operation of the carb.  My instructions to relatives, or friends who wanted to
drive my car back in the '60's was "get in my car, put your right leg over
your left shoulder and then turn the key.  Do not 'pump' or even push the gas
pedal."

Your gas pedal is not hooked up to the fuel pump either.  The pump has a lever
which goes into the engine and so receives its pumping action from a cam in
the engine which turns and moves the lever.  If the pump is not pumping that
has nothing to do with the gas pedal or carb linkages or carbs, for that
matter.  Cheers.

Art Kelly