TR3 progress, brake line questions

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR3 progress, brake line questions
From: "Coday Family" <coday@localaccess.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 15:48:18 +0000
Comments: Authenticated sender is <Coday@Mail.localaccess.com>
Thanks for the tips on the top, got it all set and readjusted, fits
well and only mashed one digit in the process of getting it in place.

Got the speed bleeders installed on all the brakes and the clutch
slave except for rt front where bleeder snapped off almost
immediately.  Now soaking with penetrating oil and trying to decide
whether I want to fight with this one troublesome bleeder.

Bled the lines and found the leak under the radiator that
precipitated the brake line work.  I have the Girling system, line
goes from rt front to left front under the front of the motor.  (#39
on page 50, Moss, part number 181-190 for those of you following
along at home)  Apparently this line was routed or bent so that it
rubbed on the radiator hose that runs to the bottom of the radiator.
Long term vibration/rubbing apparently caused a break in the line.
Other lines seem solid.  Question:  Was this line routed correctly?
Should it have been near or up against the radiator hose?  I figure
it must have gotten bent at one time to end up there.

I will be ordering the new brake line, not going to snake the old one
out until the new one is in hand.  Does anybody have a tip on how to
get this brake line out?  I could snap it pretty easy and take it out
in two pieces, but that doesn't help me figure out how to get the new
one in place.  Looks like if I take out the motor, radiator and strip
the body off the frame, the brake line will be a breeze, but I am
hoping for something a little less dramatic, like  1. getting the
radiator hose out of the way, snaking the line down past the carbs
and in place,  or 2. I lay underneath and push/pull/curse the thing
in place while Buffy helps from above.  That method seems guaranteed
to get a lot of grit and brake fluid in my eyes, will entertain the
hell out of Buffy, so maybe that's the way to go?

Need to get this and get back at it, have to look at the tail lights,
blinkers etc which are still in box down there somewhere.

Thanks again,
Geezer, Buffy and the twins

59 TR3 TS52320 (a daily driver wannabe)