New TR4 in the Group (A little long)

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: New TR4 in the Group (A little long)
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 11:52:25 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Barry Fox" <Bwfox@aol.com>
Hey Listers!

Do I have some personal good news.  Please, comments or advice welcome!!

My searching is over.   Yesterday in Buffalo, NY (450 miles from Groton, MA)
I bought  a red '62 TR4 that is in really nice shape.   I'm having it picked
up next Saturday by a local towing company with a flat bed.  The body is
extraordinary.  I'm reluctant to claim NO rust... but I could not find any
at all.  It has a beautiful lacquer paint finish that is just wonderful.  I
must admit though that I don't understand how to care for this kind of
finish.  The inside of the trunk is the only neglected spot and needs some
attention to prevent rust from starting up.

The interior is black and in usable shape and the car comes with a
uninstalled loop carpet set from sources unknown.  Contrary to my goal....a
wood dash is fitted.  I wish it were original.  I don't know where I could
get the black wrinkle painted instrument cluster piece to retro it back to
white.  Maybe I will just refinish the wood.  The shift boot will not stay
in place on the fiberglass tunnel... get a new one.  All the rubber is do
for a replacement especially around the windshield class and doors.  Top and
tonneau cover are usable.

The tires are brand X 165-15/80 on steel wheels..... there's a $1,000 future
project.  Most chrome is pretty good... except for rear bumper... but a not
a big problem.

All cars have the good and the not so good.  Here comes the maybe not so
good.   The car has a  good, enthusiast cared for, history I can trace back
15 years when it was purchased at a VTR convention as a just restored
beauty.  I must have been a south or west car to allow for the body
condition.  However, It was restored with the aid of a 66 TR4A organ donor
car.  The engine, seats, door trim and probably the dash were taken from the
dead car.  The engine is a CT62000+ with the updated manifolds and SU HS6
carbs and TR4A style oval paper element air cleaners. I would rather have an
original style open breather, 62-63 set up for originality.  The engine
idled smoothly and finally performed smoothly on the road after I filled the
absolutely dry dash pots. Compression was good and uniform but oil pressure
is about 35-40 at speed.  The owner is using 10W-30.  I will switch to
20W-40 or 10W-50(any good advice).  I don't know the transmission history
but functioned without problems.

The exhaust system must be replaced, first thing, if I want my neighbors to
be happy.  The car is fitted with a old, practically straight through,
system except for a 20" long tubular bulge at the rear under the trunk....
REALLY loud.  The TR4A engine and split header exhaust manifold gives me a
problem.  How do I replace the system........ The only thing I can think of
is to use the TR4A front split pipe and Y collector pipe and finish with the
TR4 system from there on back.  I would have to sort out front hangers and
such... but I really don't know if these parts will fit together.  Any help
an this would be appreciated because I would like to order up the parts
Monday from TRF to have on hand when the car arrives.

Well that's enough... I have worn you all out.  I am really excited and
having fun.

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4    CT16260L, Groton, MA (It's about time... no more wannabe)
sanborn@net1plus.com