Re: Gas tank restoration, repro fender probs.

To: ARhodes@compuserve.com
Subject: Re: Gas tank restoration, repro fender probs.
From: JoeSimcoe@aol.com
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 1998 14:42:27 EDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

<< BTW, I have new TRF rear fenders and rear valence panel.  I am
 not too happy with the fit nor the quality.  The fit is WAY off.  They are
 1/4 inch too short, and they have a bow with the mid point bowing outward.
 If I were to try to bolt it flush it would kink in the middle.  Plus the
 folded-over
 top edge is a round fold rather than a knife-edge crease.  The original
 fits
 perfectly and has a nice edge.  It is a shame to use $50 of a $350 panel
 to repair the rust through, and still have to do a whole lot of metal work
 fitting
 the new sheet metal filler.

 The stamped areas in the rear valence where the bumper bracket
 passes through are in the wrong locations.  They are 1/2 inch off compared
 to the original valence.  Luckily they did not cut out the holes.  I had to
 do a
 bunch of work removing the indentations of the stamping and creating
 the correct stampings.  What a pain.  Was there THAT much variation
 in the body during the TR4A run? >>

I had a similar problem with me TR250 - talked to John Swauger with TRF at
last  years VTR national - he was apologitic, but explained that the
manufacturer does a shitty job, and since they are the only game in town, they
really don't give a flip.
TRF will take back the panels if you haven't primed them or messed them up,
you can add a bunch of work and make them fit (kinda)

Last answer, no there wasn't that much variation in the original cars, only in
the repo parts ! ! !

JoeSimcoe