Re: Spitfire or MGB???

To: "Trevor Boicey" <tboicey@brit.ca>, "Malcolm Walker" <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: Spitfire or MGB???
From: "David Hill" <David_J_Hill@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 20:20:14 +0100
Cc: "SUCHAK" <suchak@mediaone.net>, <cavsct@concentric.net>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
I've had both Spitfires and MGB's, not to mention a GT6.

IMHO, the Spitfire is the easier car to restore. The MGB is unitary
construction but is complex and it's therefore easy to lose dimensions in
the restoration.

The Spitfire is more complicated mechanically than the B but has easier
bodywork. My golden rules for a body-off restoration are......

Take as many reference measurements as you can, note them and keep them
somewhere safe before removing any panels.

Weld some steel struts across the door apertures  before removing the sills
(rockers). Do this right and you can leave them in until after the doors are
refitted.

Support the frame and shell where the weight normally sits, i.e. where the
axles go.

Tack weld and measure before final welding wherever possible.

Take your time.

Hope this helps,

Dave Hill, UK