Re: Spitfire or MGB???

To: TR List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire or MGB???
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 09:29:37 -0400
Cc: Rob Schuck <cavsct@concentric.net>
Rob Schuck writes

>All,

>     Understanding the lists understandable bias towards Triumphs, I have
>question.  I know that several of the listers have or have had a MG.
>
>     Next month I will be returning from Indiana with my high school  and
>college sweetheart (a 1974 1/2 MGB).  Presently, my daily driver is a 1980
>Spitfire.  The MG will take some work to get it running, but is otherwise
in
>good condition.  It has been garaged for about eight years.
>     I would like to do a frame up restore of one of these cars and use
the
>other as my daily driver.  My question:  Should I restore the MG or the
>Spitfire?  What are the pros and cons of either?  Expense?  Ease of
>restoration?  Other considerations?
>

>                        Thanks,
>
>                                Rob Schuck

Rob,

If you are asking "Which car is will be the more profitable restoration?"
then the answer is "Either one is a losing proposition."  Even Austin
Healey's are only break-even and the prices for those are astronomical!

But if your question is "Which car will be the more fun, the more rewarding
to restore?" then that is a question of personal prefference and the
relative condition of the car and your own personal inclinations.  For
example, if you like doing body work you might prefer to restore a car
that has some body damage but runs well.  However, if you are like me and
hate body work, you might be better off doing a car that has a solid body
but needs mechanical attention.

I recommend restoring the MG.  By doing so  you will drive the spitfire
more! ;-)
You will be loath to drive the restored car least yo get a scratch!

But most of all, have fun.  That's what it is all about.

Dave Massey
St. Louis, MO