Re. PI Improvements

To: <Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re. PI Improvements
From: "David Hill" <David_J_Hill@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 21:06:51 +0100
Hi, Listers,

I gotta namesake in the US-small world.

Further to my previous posts about PI mixture setting, I've found some other
things out.

First, what I thought was pinking actually wasn't. The car started making
some 'orrible noises in high torque conditions, like setting off and
accelerating in high gears.

Then, there was the general impression that a wheel had cracked. Immense
vibration and ominous rumblings from the rear end (of the car, that is.)
Strangely, after an hour parked, this reverted to assorted squeaking noises
under load.

So, had a sniff about and found the rear UJ on the propshaft was absolutely
chorfed. It had nigh on 1/4" of free play and probably not many rollers left
on one journal.

Cleaned up and fitted the prop from the spares car, complete with greasable
joints and the car turned into-well, not quite a Rolls Royce but a Jaguar at
least.

Also found that my buzzing alternator hadn't got bearing trouble but a
broken mounting. Re-brushed the Lucas ACR unit (you know where that came
from) and all's well.

By the way, Egil, I've figured out the wisdom of seting up the PI by
vacuum-the secret's in the springs, is it not? According to my calculations,
the car is now doing 24 mpg. This is partly due to my putting the full
profile tyres on the back and using the 70 series on the front. According to
the plugs, the car is still running a bit rich.

Cheers,

Dave Hill (UK)