Re: Spitfire or MGB???

To: cavsct@concentric.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spitfire or MGB???
From: SUCHAK <suchak@mediaone.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 19:45:29 -0400
Oh Rob..

I suspect you have no idea of the magnitude of the can of worms you've
opened with your question...

I'm doing my second restoration of a Spitfire (well, okay, the first was
only like 3/4ths, but this second one is full on...
http://www.jacksonville.net/~suchak/toys.htm

Anyway...

In my humble opinion, I prefer the Spit...  I just like the idea of a
real frame versus unibody.  It's a purely emotional thing I'm sure, and
I have no doubts that there are plenty of people who will weigh in on
the unibody side (Trevor???), but for me it just seems more like the
sportscars of old...

Also, spits are amazingly cheap, I've bought *nice* parts cars for just
a couple of hundred dollars, and new parts are reasonably easy to find
in most cases.  About the only projects I've ever done that costed less
are aircooled VW's, and spits are MUCH cooler than VW's!  (Spare me the
flame-mail VW-lovers..  I have one of them too!
http://www.jacksonville.net/~suchak/veewee.htm)

Finally, just on aesthetics, I prefer the spit over the B.  The spit has
a lean, sexy look to it, a much more feminine form than the blocky B...
It's more "italian" than brit.

On the other hand, the B *is* a '74, which would weigh heavily in my
mind living here in smog-testing north Florida...  The 80 spits were
pretty well choked by smog equipment, where that B is smog free....

Decisions, decisions.

Regards,

John