Re: Re. PI Improvements

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Re. PI Improvements
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 22:45:35 GMT
On 16 Jun 1998, David Hill wrote:

> I can get hold of a vac gauge and I have your figures but have yet to think
> of a way of creating a steady vacuum to apply the settings.

I first tried with an intricate setup involving a vacuum pump, a valve, a
T-piece and a vacuum instrument. It was next to impossible to get exactly
to the right vacuum.

So I ended up throwing away the vacuum pump and the valve, and keeping
the T-piece and the vacuum instrument.  I added a suitable long piece of
tube, sucking at the end with my mouth and closing it with the tip of my
tongue. Much easier to set an accurate vacuum. Any leaks would be
indicated by the vacuum not remaining constant.

> I don't see how
> the job can be done without at least tilting the metering unit for access.

I have never done this in-situ. I would imagine it to be awkward to access
the adjustment nuts, and also to judge the gap.

Loosening the metering unit at the flange where it meets the distributor
takeoff (3 setscrews) should make access much better. Remember to mark the
position of the metering unit, and don't loose the plastic drive dog. Upon
reassembly, keep the plastic drive dog in place with a blob of grease.

Egil
--
Email: egil@kvaleberg.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway