Re: Re. PI Improvements

To: "Egil Kvaleberg" <egil@kvaleberg.no>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Re. PI Improvements
From: "David Hill" <David_J_Hill@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 21:14:33 +0100

>> the car is now doing 24 mpg.
>
>It seems a tad much - all depending on how much city driving you do, of
>course. For steady speed motoring you should probably be able to reach 28
>MPG. I assume we are talking British MPG.
>
>> This is partly due to my putting the full
>> profile tyres on the back and using the 70 series on the front.
>
>Do you have an OD? That helps consumption significantly.
>
>> According to
>> the plugs, the car is still running a bit rich.
>
>It would seem so. One simple hint as to how rich it is running can be
>found by the amount of choke required after a cold start. If you can press
>it fully home well before the engine has reached its normal operating
>temperature, you probably still have room for some leaning out. Don't lean
>out the wide-open-throttle setting too much, BTW.

Hi, Egil,

Thank you for the reply.

My car is an overdrive model. I do a lot of what you might call semi-city
driving. Using 3,000rpm. maximum, I was achieving 21 mpg before I changed
the wheels front to back. As you say, the choke can be pushed home when the
temperature gauge is about 1/4 of the way up the range so it's still rich.

I can get hold of a vac gauge and I have your figures but have yet to think
of a way of creating a steady vacuum to apply the settings. I don't see how
the job can be done without at least tilting the metering unit for access.

Cheers,

Dave Hill UK