Re: Triumph and the Italian/Latin classics

To: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Triumph and the Italian/Latin classics
From: Cliff Hansen <chansen@exis.net>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 21:53:32 -0400
At 08:22 PM 5/20/98 +0100, jonmac wrote:

>Light-heartedly, is there anyone out there qualified in ancient languages?
Does anyone have
>a divergent view or should we do a 'volte-face' and write it in Ancient
>Greek instead?
>
>John Macartney

Can't really do it right without a Greek font, but
in Greek, you have 3 choices of gender/plurality and
two choices of pronounciation.
In the order I would choose them:

Modern (Demotic) pronounciation:

Triumph plural
  Philoi Triumphwn (fee'-lee Tri-umph-own', the 'w' is omega)

Triumph feminine singular (my wife's choice)
  Philoi Triumphns (fee'-lee Tri-umph'-eese, the 'n' is eta)

Triumph masculine/neuter singular (sounds goofy)
  Philoi Triumphou (fee'-lee Tri-umph-oo')

Ancient pronounciation (don't grade me on this one):

Triumph plural
  Philoi Triumphwn (fee'-loi Triumph-own', the 'w' is omega)

Triumph feminine singular
  Philoi Triumphns (fee'-loi Tri-umph'-ase, the 'n' is eta)

Triumph masculine/neuter singular
  Philoi Triumphou (fee'-loi Triumph-ow')

Of course, in Greek Triumph can be translated as Nike....

Cliff Hansen
chansen@exis.net
1966 TR-4A CTC 64615L