re:Triumph and the Italian/Latin classics

To: "'jonmac@ndirect.co.uk'" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Subject: re:Triumph and the Italian/Latin classics
From: Andrew Miller <amiller@JetForm.com>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 08:09:24 -0400
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
A few years ago in town there was a revival of interest in the classics
(languages, we already have interests in cars). A couple of Latin profs
from the two local universities were interviewed and an article was
published in the paper.  It seems that a botanist needed help in naming
a new variation on some hybrid plant.  Unfortunately, the botanist
annoyed the prof so the first prof created a name mixing roots (ok, pun
intended) a couple of really good endings and came up with a very
scholarly, Latin sounding name waited a week and delivered his result..

A few months later the second prof was asked by a writer from a
gardening magazine to translate this same term back to English.  Of
course it didn't translate and the second prof sought the help of the
first prof.  The two had a good laugh, used the original English phrase,
waited a week and delivered the result.

The two were quite proud of pulling a fast one.

Now (standing behind asbestos heat shield) I'm not suggesting that Mr.
Petrolati was similarly taken in but....

maybe we should make bumper stickers ?
Sona si Latine loqueris.
Honk if you speak Latin.

and for James...
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam
possit materiari?
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Andrew
78 Spitfire