Re: Triumph and the Italian/Latin classics

To: jonmac <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Triumph and the Italian/Latin classics
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 16:27:55 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 20 May 1998, jonmac wrote:

> Light-heartedly, is there anyone out there qualified in ancient languages?

        AGGGGHHHHHHHH!

        As the designer of the device in question I did ask the advice
        of  "an expert" in ancient languages who assured me that "Amici
        Triumphi" was proper. Of course whenever one consults with
        academics in numbers greater than the singular academic, one is
        liable to come up with a number opinions (at least X+3 opinions
        for every 2 academics asked).

        Despite tha fact I can claim Italian heritage, it is diluted with
        nearly every other european nationality so that any purely Roman
        link to authority in regards to the Latin language should be judged
        suspect (a jewish lady raised me... but don't ask me about hebrew).

        I can speak only to the heraldic design (hey, 10 years in the Society
        for Creative Anachronism's gotta be good for something).

        If you're serious about findin' the proper grammar, my good man,
        I could give you the email address of the scholar that gave
        "Amici Triumphi" to me. The two of you can go "tome to tome"
        until only one of you draws breath (Dammit Jim, I'm an artist,
        not a Latin scholar):*)

> strong Italian overtones and if nothing else other than for the sake of
> Signor Michelotti, the least we can do is to get it right. Does anyone have
> a divergent view or should we do a 'volte-face' and write it in Ancient
> Greek instead?

        Greg Petrolati (yeah, yeah it's spelled wrong, I know)

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois