Spitfire questions from British car digest

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Spitfire questions from British car digest
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 19:54:50 +0100
Listers,
I found the following as you may have done on the British Cars Digest.
Can anyone help Chuck?

John Macartney

I have two questions related to Spitfires that I hope someone will have
the answers to:
1.  Has anyone experienced tearing of the metal at the upper corners of
the cutout
for the bonnet latches on the front wings?  There doesn't seem to any
binding of
the bonnet to cause stress so I'm unsure of the source of the problem.
I'm about to have the car repainted so I'm wondering if I can have these
tears welded and if the welding will hold.  Can the cutouts be
reinforced from behind with some sort of mending plate?

2.  I am looking to replace the tonneau cover (now an amco) with a new
one and would like a mohair cover but, good vinyl would do.  The problem
is that the Amco unit doesn't fit properly (it won't stretch across the
car at the very front to meet the snaps - almost like, oh, no, Dear God,
the car isn't square).  It has always been like this since the previous
owner purchased it.   Has anyone else had problems with tonneau fit and
could you give me any suggestions for getting a cover that fits
properly.  My car, by the way, is a 1970 Spitfire, commission number FDU
81297 L, mfg January 1970.
Thanks for your help,
Chuck Watkins

--