Re: TR7 Transmission

To: "Byron N. Brashears" <brashears@hughes.net>, triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR7 Transmission
From: john derbyshire <jderbyshire@maxon-hq.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 07:45:27 +0100charset="US-ASCII"
Recieved: from jderbyshire by post_new.maxon-hq.co.uk (8.8.7) id CAA03604; Sun, 30 Mar 1997 02:30:43 +0100

>I suspect that I have a severe transmission problem. I was going along
>the freeway at about 70MPH in fifth gear. I heard a loud noise and loss
>some speed and power. I coasted to a stop and got out to check for
>visible damage. I saw nothing unusual. I got in and put the gear
>selector in neutral and tried to start the car. It was still in gear, I
>could not locate neutral. I depressed the clutch and started the car, I
>put it in first and the car moved about an inch and stalled, I was
>unable to move forward and reverse was unlocatable as well. I am going
>to remove the transmission and replace it. Are there any ideas as
>exactly what the problem is?  It is a 79 TR7 Convertible 5spd.

Could be the input shat bearings have gone big time, this seems to take the
3/4th gear syncro assembly with it, the syncro assemble is likely jammed up
in there somewhere.

I just finished reassembly my 5 speed this weekend, and its a pain in the
arse job, having to shim bearings, and check end float with a dial gauge. On
reflection I wish I had bought a reconditioned or even second-hand one.

Now my gearbox makes a wineing sound, and is difficult to get into gear, and
very hard to get into reverse. The reverse problem was there before, I
thought it was the clutch but I changed this whilst the box was out.