Re: Tr8 valve springs replacement thereof

To: Bollen <bollen@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: Tr8 valve springs replacement thereof
From: Allen Nugent <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 17:05:54 +1000 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At 05:01 22/05/98 -0400, you wrote:

>Has anyone without a compressor replaced a spring with the head in situ?
>Does the string trick work for this? Want to get it running for the
>weekend.

Stu,

I don't know if this is possible, as I have no familiarity with the TR8
engine. Maybe you could compress the spring using a big screwdriver as a
lever (which I can do on the exhaust valves on my Sprint engine) or a
custom-made tool that screws onto the head at several points, and uses a
central screw (with appropriate fitting) to push down on the spring.

The point I want to make is that you had best put the piston in question at
top-dead-centre, so the valve doesn't fall into the cylinder when (and if)
you remove the collets.

Allen Nugent
Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering
University of New South Wales
Sydney  2052  Australia