TR7 Transmission

To: triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR7 Transmission
From: "Byron N. Brashears" <brashears@hughes.net>
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 10:32:37 -0700
I suspect that I have a severe transmission problem. I was going along
the freeway at about 70MPH in fifth gear. I heard a loud noise and loss
some speed and power. I coasted to a stop and got out to check for
visible damage. I saw nothing unusual. I got in and put the gear
selector in neutral and tried to start the car. It was still in gear, I
could not locate neutral. I depressed the clutch and started the car, I
put it in first and the car moved about an inch and stalled, I was
unable to move forward and reverse was unlocatable as well. I am going
to remove the transmission and replace it. Are there any ideas as
exactly what the problem is?  It is a 79 TR7 Convertible 5spd.