Re: Quick-disconnect bonnet hinge

To: jbonina@nectech.com
Subject: Re: Quick-disconnect bonnet hinge
From: jmwagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 22:23:18 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, blang@mit.edu
Jeff,

It's a very valid idea... I don't have a hinge sitting here on my lap... but
going
on memory... I'd say...

Take out the fixed pin as mentioned... and replace it with a shoulder bolt...
get
one that has room for a thick metal washer, a thin delrin or nylon washer (on
either
side of the hinge) with very little "play"...  then simply lock it off with a
nyloc
or a castle nut secured by a cotter pin. (get a shoulder that is a close to the
size
you need, without going too short, and then take up the play with shim washers,
etc.)  If you can also fit a thin nylon washer between the two hinge pieces,
all the
better. It's not going to make a difference in the big picture...

If you had a machine shop ream the holes to the holes to the next-up size
shoulder
bolt... this would help to take out any play  along the axis...  (if
required)...
and would thus refresh the hinge.

I had tinkered with the idea...  but since the issue usually came up when I was
putting the bonnet back on after a major engine project... my mind was usually
on
driving it/working out the bugs/etc. rather than getting back to the hinge.

For those of you concerned about safety... the above modification with a high
grade
shoulder bolt would be stronger than the stock configuration.  Hood pins should
be
installed at the driver's end if you really want to project yourself!

--Justin