Re: Quick-disconnect bonnet hinge

To: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Re: Quick-disconnect bonnet hinge
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 16:09:33 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: jbonina@nectech.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, blang@MIT.EDU

On Mon, 18 May 1998, Bob Lang wrote:

> Good luck, I have no idea how making a pin release system would work.

How about a system similar to the one that Ford trucks use on the
tailgate? To remove: undo restraints, lift *out* one end and move gate
sideways.  The hinges are circular, with the 'out' one having a c-shaped
shell, so that it will only come out when it's pulled at a certain
direction.

It may be more helpful to find a Ford truck and see how it works ;-)

The thing I'd be most worried about is crash protection; it would be no
fun to have the bonnet fly off in a collision.  I think some corvettes do
this (it pops up in the air), not a good time to learn about projectile
dynamics!

-Malcolm