Quick-disconnect bonnet hinge

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, blang@mit.edu
Subject: Quick-disconnect bonnet hinge
From: jbonina@nectech.com
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 10:27:59 -0400
I have had the bonnet (hood) off of my TR6 for the past couple of weeks while I
wait for a replacement hinge to arrive in the mail. If you have never had the
bonnet off, you don't know what you're missing. For one thing, there's more
light under there to see things. But the biggest advantage is,  the prop rod,
hood, etc. aren't in the way of working under there. It makes life so easy.

When I reinstall the bonnet, I'd like to rework the hinges into a quick
disconnect hinge so that the hood can easily be removed and reinstalled without
having to realign, undo all the bolts, etc.

I've got what I think is a great and simple idea. I thought you could remove the
existing permanent "pin" that acts as a pivot point and replace it with a pin
that is held in place with cotter pins, for example. The hinge would then be 2
separate pieces; one would be bolts to the bonnet, and one piece would be bolted
to the inside of the fender, just the way it is now. All you would have to do to
remove the bonnet is to raise it and pull the cotter pins. Of course, to
reinstall, just "reverse the procedure". It wouldn't change the outside
appearance either.

OK, take my theory apart; or give me a better idea.

Thanks,
Jeff