Bumper originality

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Bumper originality
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 08:07:36 +0100
>My GT6+ has an unusual front and rear bumper configuration I'm trying to
>figure out.  There is an inverted u-shaped chrome bar on top of and
>connected to the front (stock) bumper, and the same arrangement on the
back
>connecting the two rear corner bumpers.  None of the books, pictures,
>previous GT6's I've owned, or any I've ever seen personally have these.

>That sounds like the Amco aftermarket bumper overriders.  I've seen
>a couple of those, and seen a couple for sale for rather large amounts
>of money.  They were reasonably popular when the cars were new, and I
>believe that they might have been available as a dealer installed
>option (although many dealers would be happy to stick anything on the
>cars if it increased their profit!).  Most were owner installed, though,
>I'd bet.

Sounds like it, I remember them well. Not approved by Engineering but
certainly approved by Leonia. They were a feeble attempt to prevent further
damage when 'parking by ear.' In reality, instead of reducing damage, they
usually caused more. They were an excellent add-on to ensure future
business in replacement panelwork both for the dealer and importer. I can
only conclude Engineering refused approval because fitment of these things
prevented the sale of a complete bodyshell. The French did the same for the
Mini and wound up with something looking like a heavy duty chrome plated
clothes airer.

John Macartney