TR6 - Head Modifications

To: "Triumph list" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR6 - Head Modifications
From: "mxgo" <mxgo@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 06:33:41 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
I have a 73 TR6, that had an engine rebuilt about 8,000 miles ago, with the
car now being exempt from California smog regulations,  I will be having the
following work performed on the cylinder head:

1.  Having the head milled down to 9.5:1 or 10:1 compression.
2.  Having the combustion chamber contoured and smoothed.
3.  Valve seats ground to a 3-angle seat.
4.  Depending on need,  new guides, springs, valves, and etc.

I have the following questions that have come up and they are:

1.  What is the thickness of the existing 73 head?
2.  For a compression ratio of 9.5:1 what will be the required thickness of
the head?  I have the required thickness for a 10:1 compression head (3.375
inches)
3.   Are there aftermarket push rods available in the correct length for a
9:5 or 10:1 compression ratio?  I notice that TRF sells two different length
push rods for PI TR6s that had 9.5:1 ratios, will any of these two lengths
work?
4.  If the existing push rods can be shortened, is that a big deal and how
does the machine shop determine the required length for the 9.5 or 10:1
ratios with only the cylinder head available?
5.  With only the above head modifications, what percent horsepower and
torque increase can I expect?  Note, that I have already installed dual
Falcon stainless steel pipes with dual ultra flow mufflers.

Martin Gonzales
73 TR6 (a.k.a "the favorite son")
San Jose, California