Overheating

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Overheating
From: Neil Penberthy <n.penberthy@liant.com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 16:21:02 -0500
Trevor talks about overheating.

Removing the thermostat may (as Joe correctly states) show a lower gage
reading. Not a cooler engine. The reason is that heat transfer relates to
the speed of the water through the system. If you heat a pan of water for a
shorter time it is cooler right ?

When I lived in the UK I owned a house with water heated radiators. In
order to get better heating a plumber recommended a second pump. Not good
advice, plenty colder as the water had less opportunity to get hot in the
boiler.

Want a cooler car get an oil cooler. I've run Spitfires in the UK and Texas
and had no problems despite the reputation. The radiator should also be in
good condition - most cooling problems are crud in the rad.

Not only will you run hotter with no 'stat you'll risk water pump damage as
the flow is faster than the design intended.

Joe your out of your corner !!

Regards

Neil

Neil Penberthy