Re: Bondmobiles

To: David Hill <David_J_Hill@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: Bondmobiles
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 01:43:26 -0700
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
David Hill wrote:

> >From memory only, Bond's cars were......
>
> (B)Supercharged bentley with Mulliner coachwork, called the 'locomotive'.
> (B) Aston Martin DBIII, in 'Goldfinger'.

I spent a few minutes talking with a former A-M rep a few weeks ago, and
he regaled us with a story of one of the Astons used in the movie. There
were, apparently, four or five available, and he was sent in the late
`60s to Jacksonville, FL to pick up one of them for a promotional tour.
This particular one he described as a DB4 cobbled up to look like a DB5,
and was delivered in a Short twin-boom cargo plane.

The movie promotional man said, "sure, I can drive these things," and
promptly burned the clutch out trying to back the car out of the plane.
Then, flustered, he accidentally hit the smoke generator switch, the
smoke generator was still operational, and the car and plane filled up
with smoke. At this point, everyone fled the scene, and the airport fire
department was summoned....

The upshot of the story was that after the smoke cleared, the car was
stored in a nearby hanger before it was trailered to its first
appointment, and was stolen from the hanger and was never recovered.
Reportedly, someone had seen a remarkably similar car for sale last year
in Colorado....

Cheers.

--
My other Triumph runs, but....