Re: Bondmobiles

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net (IPM Return Requested)
Subject: Re: Bondmobiles
From: William Elliott <William.Elliott@mail.mei.com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 10:12:31 -0500
David Hill wrote:

> >From memory only, Bond's cars were......
>
> (B)Supercharged bentley with Mulliner coachwork, called the 'locomotive'.
> (B) Aston Martin DBIII, in 'Goldfinger'.

Michael D. Porter responded:
>>I spent a few minutes talking with a former A-M rep a few weeks ago, and
he regaled us with a story of one of the Astons used in the movie.
(excellent story snipped)>>

For the handful of you that might not know, the "Goldfinger" DB5 (one used for
closeups, photo op's, etc.) was the actual prototype DB5.  Most of the "gadgets"
are real and actually work.   Got to see it up close and take a few rolls of
photos
 a few years ago at a DC show.  The same show also
had the Lotus Esprit submarine and a few other props, vehicles, etc.

BTW, the reason the cars in the books differ so much from the movies is the
time span between them.  In the 50's, a 3.5 blower Bentley was an exotic car
indeed.
Of course, never forget that John Gardner (Fleming's "official" successor) had
Bond driving a SAAB Turbo in his first book.  While I too have a SAAB Turbo....
Bond should only drive British cars....  what's this I hear about a 4-cyl
German roadster?  Sacrilege! :-0

Bill Elliott
Lake Mills, WI