RE: [TR6] Check the fill plug before draining, stupid!

To: "'Theodore R. Stevens'" <stevens@erols.com>
Subject: RE: [TR6] Check the fill plug before draining, stupid!
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 12:18:35 -0600
Cc: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

3/8"-8pt socket works on the stock plug

> Also, am I correct in assuming there's no drain plug for the differential?
Correct.

> Do I drain it by loosening something else? (Forgive my asking such a basic
> question -- don't have a manual yet.  And yes, I promise to check the
> diff.
> fill plug before draining.)
There is no drain plug from the factory that I am aware of. I think the best
way in your case is to remove the cover (8 bolts). But make sure you have a
large pan to catch the oil (and it will really smell bad after 20 years -
probably never been changed). You will need a new gasket to re-install the
cover. All in all, unless you are having problems with the diff, I would
just top off the oil in there. Save the drain part for when you have the
diff out. Then you can install a proper drain plug (need to drill and tap a
hole in the bottom of the case).

The factory fill plug is the same as the gearbox.

Good luck,

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada