Re: How long will an engine last?

To: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: How long will an engine last?
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 23:07:39 GMT
Bob writes...

> >Oh well.
>>
>> Now, now Bob.  They're not all that bad.  Thrustwashers and bearings
>> every 30k <in situ> and you're golden!  :-)
>
>Well, I did put a smiley face on that comment.
>
>I do understand that an un-worked-over 1500 motor can have a few problems
>_if it's stressed_, but other than that, I've seen plenty of 1500
>Spitfires drive a lot of miles, so they are not all bad by any means.

He he...I'm being a bit tounge-in-cheek with the 30k number.  That's
the low estimate I've read from some of the British car magazines like
Practical Classics.  I can't comment from real experience because I've
never owned a 1500 new.  My '74 was ready for bearings at an estimated
75 thousand miles and I suspect they were original because of the
standard sizing.

This number doesn't bother me in the least though.  Bearings are cheap
and on Spits and most TRs you can swap 'em out in just a few hours.
A *lot* easier than doing a timing chain on a V-12 Jag.  :-)

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley in Southbridge Massachusetts
'74, '77 Spits