Re: How long will an engine last?

To: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: How long will an engine last?
From: "Lawrence R Zink" <zink@pdq.net>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 01:53:53 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Jon,
I couldn't agree more, of all the cars that I own, ONLY the Spitfire and my
two new vehicles has less than 100k miles on the odometer.  My son has the
1987 S15 that I purchased new, The engine had 142k on it when the front main
bearing decided it wanted to spin.  And from talking to mechanics I put
about 25k more on it than any they had seen.  The only thing that needed to
be fixed was the journal for the front bearing.  I have a 1989 Chevy Astro
van with 187k on it and it's as strong as the day I bought it.  My 1983 GMC
pickup has 135k, on it but the poor little 5.0 l engine gave up the ghost at
129k.  I bought it with 122k on it.  I expect that if the Spitfire was a
daily driver now, like it was when I first got it, that it would have better
than 200k on it now, instead of the 47k it has.  Just keep changing your oil
and filters, use a premium grade oil, and do it on a regular basis, and
barring unforeseen circumstances, most engines should last 125-200k miles.

Larry Zink
1964 Spitfire4 Mk1
Houston, Texas