Re: How long will an engine last?

To: "Tom O'Malley" <tomomalley@hey.net>
Subject: Re: How long will an engine last?
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 09:53:10 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Tue, 12 May 1998, Tom O'Malley wrote:

> Bob writes...
>
> >Now, if you have a Spitfire 1500, that's a dufferent issue... ;-).
> >
> >Oh well.
>
> Now, now Bob.  They're not all that bad.  Thrustwashers and bearings
> every 30k <in situ> and you're golden!  :-)

Well, I did put a smiley face on that comment.

I do understand that an un-worked-over 1500 motor can have a few problems
_if it's stressed_, but other than that, I've seen plenty of 1500
Spitfires drive a lot of miles, so they are not all bad by any means.

As for new TQ and bearings at regular intervals - I'm all for that. The
racers all do this as a matter of course - it's a lot cheaper to pull it
apart and measure and replace as needed than it is to spin a bearing and
wreck a $1000 crankshaft!

I'm due in about three years for my TR6... it'll have about 130,000 miles
on it by then. But Len Renkenburger, TR6 guru said this years ago - and
you can get a couple of "in place replacements" of the bearings in
before you ever need to turn the crank (unless the replacement was due to
s spun bearing or other calamity...) Of course I'll "check things" before
then.

> >rml
> >TR6's
> >At least one being "rebuilt".

But one being _driven_.

> Cheers!
> Tom O'Malley in Southbridge Massachusetts
> '74, '77 Spits

Cheerio!
rml

p.s. is everybody in Massachusetts a wise-guy? Well, excluding Joe Curry,
of course. ;-)
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |