Re: How long will an engine last?

To: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Subject: Re: How long will an engine last?
From: Allen Nugent <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 13:26:12 +1000 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At 00:05 6/05/98 +0100, you wrote:

>I'm more than casually interested at the comments I've seen over the last
>few months on this list and the Spridgets >one as well, about people's
concerns >regarding likely engine life when undertaking a full rebuild.
>For some reason, many people seem to feel (rightly or wrongly) that they
>probably can't hope for much more than 60k miles out of a rebuilt unit ...

It certainly sounds low to me, but I haven't put nearly enough miles on mine
to say (my original TR7 read 120,000 km on a non-functioning odometer when I
bought it, so it had at least 180,000 km when I rebuilt it, 60,000 km later).

I would certainly expect less of the 3-main bearing crankshaft engines than
the 5-main's. However, lightened conn-rods and correct balancing of all
rotating and reciprocating parts should significantly reduce the bearing
stresses and thrust-side wear, in a properly rebuilt motor. Hardened crank
journals sould help, too. Surely one could expect > 100,000 _miles_ after
such work!

Allen Nugent
Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering
University of New South Wales
Sydney  2052  Australia