Re: Re[2]: Re[2]: TR6 Wheel Bearings

To: jbonina@nectech.com
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Re[2]: TR6 Wheel Bearings
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 12:05:43 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Tue, 12 May 1998 jbonina@nectech.com wrote:

> Question for you and the list. I'm hoping to get to replacing the water
> valve on the TR6 this weekend. After I unscrew the old valve and clean
> the threads, what do I use on the new valve threads to keep it from
> leaking? Someone suggested "pipe dope"? Huh? What is the more correct
> name for it? Will it hold up to HOT water?

You can put some thread compound on (not thread locker!!!), but it really
is not necessary. I've also seen folks use teflon tape. Again - it's
overkill. The threads for the pipe and the fitting are pipe threads, the
threaded section is tapered - so it is more or less self-sealing.

Two things - don't over tighten and don't over tighten. You're more
likely to cause a leak by overtightening that you might get from not
using thread compound or telfon and making it too loose. And don't forget
to run the car up to normal temps and check for leaks _before_ you go for
that 200 mile spring jaunt through the countryside!

The only installation problem is getting the outlet to point toward the
firewall so that the existing heater hose can attach. And don't forget,
the engine twists a bit in there under stress, so make sure that there is
some extra length of hose. FWIW, I always make sure I have a hunk of 1/2"
ID "heater hose" handy when I work on those things.

> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

L8r,
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |