Re: Taking Advantage

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Taking Advantage
From: larry hooven <dirty_howi@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 09:08:30 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

for technology that is at a minimum of 15 years old, the design has
been paid for for some time im sure.  and no we don't make toilet
seats or hammers...although i sometimes think we buy them at the same
price  :)  "where did all my profit sharing go"....that price btw joe
is just for the board if one were to go south, the whole control
system runs between 25 and 45 grand depending on the options for
support and such you purchase with it...and around 4000 a piece for
the things it controls.....

---Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net> wrote:

> Larry,
> Having worked in the Electronics industry for 30 odd years (some of
them
> were very odd indeed), I can safely say thet the cost of manufacturing
> that board states material labor and overhead and doesn't take into
> consideration the design costs or the research and development that
went
> into the product.  Therefore, if they are getting that price for the
> board, it likely is well worth it.  BTW does your company manufacture
> Space Shuttle toilet seats or $300 hammers?
>
> Joe
>
> larry hooven wrote:
> >
> > where i work we manufacture a card for one of our systems that has a
> > sum manufacturing cost of around 110 dollars, after parts, etching,
> > labor etc...sum list price to the end user $17,500.00.....which in a
> > way goes to prove the axiom, it's not the cost of the diamond it's
> > what it'll get you.......
> >
> > ---Sumner Weisman <sweisman@gis.net> wrote:
> > >

> > > Ed,
> > >
> > > Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I got it.  The info in it is great.
> > >
> > > However:  I also paid $7.00 for shipping and "HANDLING" (?)  for
> > this and
> > > three other small parts I ordered.    That is also profitable for
> > them.  I
> > > have worked for manufacturing companies for many years.  A typical
> > markup
> > > from Factory Cost is about X3.  Factory Cost includes material,
> > overhead,
> > > and G&A (general and administrative costs).  A typical markup from
> > material
> > > cost alone is about X5. These markups include a fair profit margin
> > of 10 to
> > > 15%.   In reasonable quantities that they probably had them
printed,
> > that
> > > booklet couldn't have cost them more than a buck each.  Therefore,
> > about $5
> > > would have been a fair and profitable price.
> > >
> > > Incidentally, I bought the book(let) because of a recommendation
from
> > > somebody in this group.  I looked in the catalog, and there it
was.
> > If the
> > > catalog had said that it had 29 pages for $12.50, I might have had
> > second
> > > thoughts.
> > >
> > > Sumner Weisman
> > > 62 TR-3B

Weisman
> > > <sweisman@gis.net>

> > cost of
etc.
> > > Besides,
> > course we
> > to be
> > greenbacks
B.S.

_NEW AND IMPROVED_ FASTER PICCYS

> > No Plan Ever Survives The First Contact Intact.
>
> --
> "If you can't excel with talent, triumph with effort."
>
>  -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer

==