Re: Re[2]: Re[2]: TR6 Wheel Bearings

To: "Bob Lang" <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>, <jbonina@nectech.com>
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Re[2]: TR6 Wheel Bearings
From: "Dean C. Paige" <ecopaige@metro.net>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 11:01:21 -0700
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
If you ask most plumbers if pipe threads are self sealing I think you will
get a very different answer. I don't know one self respecting plumber who
would ever screw pipes together w/o using pipe dope or tef tape. Sealing
pipe joints is after all the purpose of these products.

Dean

----------
> From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
> To: jbonina@nectech.com
> Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: Re[2]: Re[2]: TR6 Wheel Bearings
> Date: Tuesday, May 12, 1998 9:05 AM
>

> On Tue, 12 May 1998 jbonina@nectech.com wrote:
>
> > Question for you and the list. I'm hoping to get to replacing the water

> > valve on the TR6 this weekend. After I unscrew the old valve and clean
> > the threads, what do I use on the new valve threads to keep it from
> > leaking? Someone suggested "pipe dope"? Huh? What is the more correct
> > name for it? Will it hold up to HOT water?
>
> You can put some thread compound on (not thread locker!!!), but it really

> is not necessary. I've also seen folks use teflon tape. Again - it's
> overkill. The threads for the pipe and the fitting are pipe threads, the
> threaded section is tapered - so it is more or less self-sealing.
>
> Two things - don't over tighten and don't over tighten. You're more
> likely to cause a leak by overtightening that you might get from not
> using thread compound or telfon and making it too loose. And don't forget

> to run the car up to normal temps and check for leaks _before_ you go for

> that 200 mile spring jaunt through the countryside!
>
> The only installation problem is getting the outlet to point toward the
> firewall so that the existing heater hose can attach. And don't forget,
> the engine twists a bit in there under stress, so make sure that there is
> some extra length of hose. FWIW, I always make sure I have a hunk of 1/2"
> ID "heater hose" handy when I work on those things.
>
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jeff
>
> L8r,
> rml

---
> Bob Lang              Room N42-140Q          | This space for rent.
> Consultant            MIT Computer Services  |
> Voice: (617)253-7438  FAX: (617)258-9535     |

---