VB door trim

To: sdecker@bellsouth.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: VB door trim
From: ctschmitz@CCGATE.HAC.COM
Date: Mon, 11 May 98 10:15:19 PST
     Scott -

     I'm on the digest, so I know I'm late with this and you may already
     have an answer, but this is such a sore spot with me I just had to
     pipe up.

     The Furflex will work. I had to call Long Motors and put up with a
     bunch of attitude before I got an answer, but I finally talked to a
     lady who had a piece in her desk expressly for the purpose of
     explaining how this works.

     OK - the fuzzy part that feels kind of rigid actually does have a
     split in it that you need to open up. The "backbone" of the stuff is a
     segmented aluminum channel that the "fur" is sewn onto. The channel is
     closed up very tightly and you'll need something like a knife to
     gently pry it apart. Once you've pried it apart you'll be able to slip
     it over the lip on the door frame. It will be necessary to crimp it in
     place to make it stay - it does not grip as you would expect it to.
     Hope that helps.

     FLAME ON!

     I bought a major trim kit and a carpet kit from VB. The pieces that
     were in the kit did not match the catalog illustration. There were
     pieces that, in the catalog, looked like molded/formed pieces but
     which were actually lengths of extruded material. The "Furflex" really
     ticked me off. The length that I received was actually about 1" less
     than THE ABSOLUTE MINIMUM LENGTH that I would have needed to
     completely do the job. I didn't waste any of it playing around,
     either. The trunk gasket was permanently deformed from being bound
     with rubber bands. The rest of the kit was pretty decent.

     The carpet kit was absolute junk, especially the sewed up piece that
     was supposed to cover the tranny tunnel. It was way short of the
     necessary amount of material. I wound up buying some carpet from the
     upholstery shop to piece it together to make it look presentable. The
     instructions that came with it were worse than nonexistent.

     Complaining to these folks doesn't seem to impress them very much.

     FLAME OFF

     If I can offer any more help, lemme know.

     Tom