Re: V8's vs. straight-6's & the gee whiz factor!

To: William.Elliott@mail.mei.com, odd@triumphclub.se
Subject: Re: V8's vs. straight-6's & the gee whiz factor!
From: DANMAS <DANMAS@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 12:34:23 EDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 5/8/98 12:04:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
William.Elliott@mail.mei.com writes:

> Oh,  on the MGC... I've stumbled across one locally for sale at a reasonable
>  price.  Not having dealt with one in years.... many years.... I got some
>  feedback from the MG list (pretty much saying to buy it, but warning me of
> some
>  issues like parts cost and availability).  Anybody here have any comments?

Bill,

Go for it!  It would be a perfect candidate for a Ford 302 transplant.  If the
weight information I received on the MGV8 list is correct, the Ford (alum
heads, etc.) only weighs 37 pounds more than the aluminum BOP/Rover 215 V8.
Considerably less than the 6-holer now in the C.  What is not generally known
is the relative size differences between the Ford and the BOP/Rover.  In width
and height, the Ford is the SMALLER of the two --two inches narrower, one inch
less height, but about one inch longer.  302ci vs 215, speed parts are as
common as dirt and available every where (at least in the USA), and as much
power as you can stand (400 on pump gas without nitrous or supercharging is
easily obtained.  800 can be had with either of those options).

You could slap an AC unit on it and still not have a weight penalty, as
compared to stock.

>  (No, it would not replace the TR6, just park beside it.)

Good idea!  I have both a TR6 and an MGBGT (which will get a V8 as soon as I
finally finish the TR6/302).

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74