Re: V8's vs. straight-6's & the gee whiz factor!

To: A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au
Subject: Re: V8's vs. straight-6's & the gee whiz factor!
From: DANMAS <DANMAS@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 23:35:44 EDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 5/10/98 10:54:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au wrote, commenting on a comparison of physical sizes
between a Ford 302 and a BOP/Rover 215 V8:

> Bloody hell! Will it fit in a TR7?

Allen,

Can't say for sure, but unless the extra inch in length is a problem it ought
to fit better than the BOP/Rover!  You would have room to spare aound the
engine.  The T5 transmission fits between the frame rails in the TR6 very
well, and I was able to drop the height of the transmission tunnel about three
inches or more (partly due to the lower height of the trans, and partly due to
the lowered center of the engine).  Seems to me it would be a natural.  Mind
you, I don't have confirmation on the BOP/Rover weight.  The information I
used was given by a member of the MGB list, whom I trust to give good data.

The problem with comparing engine weights is you never know what was included
in the weight: exhaust? intake? starter?, etc.  To give you something to base
a comparison on, the engine in my car weighs 424 pounds, give or take a few
pounds.  This includes:  intake manifold, alternator, starter, exhaust
headers, dual 4-barrel carborators, flywheel, distributer, clutch -- ie, ready
to run.  If you can get the weight of the BOP/Rover in the same condition, you
can make the comparison, and please let me know if the data I have is correct.
Just for the record, the stock TR6 engine, same configuration, weighs 460
pounds, give or take a few.  The T5 transmission and bell housing weighs 85
pounds, compared to the TR6 transmission with integral bellhousing which
weighs 74 pounds.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74