Re: to primer or not to primer..

To: Triumph List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: to primer or not to primer..
From: Jay Raynis <jay@rih.org>
Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 08:36:58 -0400
If I remember rightly, Classic Motorbooks has a very nice book for
inexperienced painters. Lots of explanations, color photos, etc. I have it
at home, and if I can find it I'll dig it up.

A good resource could be your local paint shop or body shop. If you're
thinking of using a particular process ask the paint shop which primer to
use. They may also have leftover paint of the type, but not color, that you
need.(Leftover meaning cheap!)  If you do a light coat just to protect, the
body shop will sand that off as part of the final prep. You could do the
same if you paint it yourself.

Jay

WORKING HARDER at THINKING DIFFERENT

----------

>I've heard it suggested that you spray with an inexpensive paint to protect
>the metal until you're ready for the "big job". Seals and protects, which
>primer won't do.

I was thinking the same thing, but I don't want to create a mess for the
future; when I can afford it, I want to sand off the cheap paint and get the
pro's to apply 2-pack (which I assume is epoxy paint) to the repairs,
matching what's on the rest of the car.

So, the issue is: what is the best primer/sealant combination that I can
spray over with a can of touch-up paint, for the intermediate term? And is
it best to remove it again before the good paint goes on?

Can anyone recommend a good book on preparation and painting that covers
modern and historical auto paints?

Thanks - I'm sure a lot of us are interested.

P.S. A friend of mine in Victoria, Canada, repaired a TVR, applied
rust-coloured primer, and never painted it. It was aluminum, so he wasn't
worried about rust. He did the panel repairs with an oxyacetylene torch, so
I guess he was just trying to show off his handywork! (That, or he feared
that as soon as he painted it, some clown would run into it!)

Allen Nugent
Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering
University of New South Wales
Sydney  2052  Australia