Re: Non LBC Question

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Non LBC Question
From: Triumph_TR4@ridgecrest.ca.us (Darrell Leach)
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 20:12:22 -0700
Posted-date: Thu, 7 May 1998 20:09:02 -0700 (PDT)
>Brad,
>
>    I agree with Larry Zink on the bad gas mileage and valve burning issues.
>Warped heads are common too.  I get better gas mileage in my F250 with a 460
>V8 in it than I did in my F150 with the 300 - 6, and passing people is no
>longer an issue!! (^;
>
>  Get one with 350/351 and you're better off in the long run.

Only problem with that is that I have an F-250 with a 460 and a friend
has an F-250 with a 351 and I still get better mileage.  And I can tow
more.  The other thing is that I get the almost the same mileage loaded
or empty, but my friends truck gets much worse mileage when loaded, I
guess that smaller engine strains a little more under load.

By the way, the recent thread on engine longevity?  My 1974 F-250, 460
powered, has 298,000 miles on it.  The only time the valve covers have
been off was to replace the gasket.

If all your gonna tow is an LBC on a light-weight trailer, the 300-6 will
do fairly well, might have to stay in the right lane on some hills though.
A heavy trailer or a larger car on the trailer may find you exploring the
limits of the 300-6 at highway speeds, even on the flats.

So Long,

Darrell Leach,   KD6LRC   DM-15,   Ridgecrest, Ca
  email: Triumph_TR4@ridgecrest.ca.us
         http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~token/PAGE1.html
1962 TR-4 (CT5368LO)  Everyday
1962 TR-4 (CT13108L)
1965 Spitfire Mk 2
1967 Spitfire Mk 3   In work, lots of 1500 stuff
Keeper of the TR-4 List, Version 2.0 availible.