Re: leather vs. wood

To: passaretti@sol.med.ge.com
Subject: Re: leather vs. wood
From: Alan Camhi <camhi@symbol.com>
Date: Thu, 07 May 1998 12:56:09 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Mike,

I bought a MotoLita wooden steering wheel for my TR4.  It was a piece of cake
to install.  The only thing that had to be done was I had to grind off about a
quarter inch of aluminum material on the hub so that it would mate to the
steering column.  Belt sander and dremel worked well for this.

As far as a horn, when you order the wheel, you must also order the center cap
assembly.  This assembly comes with a Triumph logoed(or any other make you
like) center cap that works well with the existing horn mechanism.  It is
spring loaded and has an easy feel to it.  You use the same hardware to mount
the wheel and the same bushing to activate the horn.  The horn is spring loaded
and has a nice effortless feel to it.

Motolita's are beautiful wheels.  They add a real charm.  I have a painted
dashed TR4 and the wooden wheel really stands out against it.  Opt for wood.

One thing,  go a size smaller than the original wheel if you are a big guy.
I'm 6 foot and 240 and the smaller diameter makes driving a lot more
comfortable.

Good luck,

Alan Camhi