Re: Trunion "Oiling"

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Trunion "Oiling"
From: Jeff Johnson <jguy@erinet.com>
Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 09:21:19 -0400
Cc: Triumphs Mail List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, Spitfire Mail List <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
will say that they suffered no undue stress and seemed to be just as happy
getting
grease as gear oil.  As I was properly informed in October of last year I have
mended my ways and am now using gear oil in my brand new trunnions. Yes,new,
because one had become deformed due to my Richard Jackson style of driving.
The
word 'thrash' comes to mind. Rest assured that I consider this an "experimental"
form of TR maintenence and will duly inform  the list sometime in the year 2019
as
to the results of this great experiment.
On a similar note, I might add that I have also read that motor oil makes the
best
lubricant for door hinges, but I am unwilling to follow this particular advice.

Jeff Johnson
'76 TR6 w/ new trunnions

Joe Curry wrote:

> Jim,
> Cause everybody who is supposed to know about those nasty little things
> says that's what you're supposed to use.  However, I have talked to a
> number of people who admit using regular grease in the trunions without
> any apparant trouble.
>
> Anyway, that's the answer.
>
> Regards,
> Joe