Re: Clutching at Straws

To: David Hill <David_J_Hill@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: Clutching at Straws
From: Mike Mason <mmason@lindenwood.edu>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 08:50:59 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

I have had a continuing problem with this.  The first and most expensive
problem, and you will get a lot of info on this from the list, is that the
throwout bearing fork shears its pin and allows too much slack in the
system to disengage the clutch.

I have repaired that, but my problem now is old age and poor maintenance
(the car, not me...OK well me too!)  You only have about 5/8th of an inch
to work with in the fork travel, so any looseness in the system will cause
problems.  I have discovered that the bushings on the clutch pedal are
GONE and that the hole where the pin is located has ovalized.  All of this
gives the clutch pedal an inch of travel before it even starts to work the
master cylinder.  So the pedal hits the firewall/floor before it can do
its job.

I made an adjustable push rod that fits between the slave cylinder and
the clutch fork, which gave me just barely enough clutch to drive it all
winter. And now it's time to fix the rest of it, since it wouldn't go into
gear this morning and I had to drive the Dirt-Colored Starship to work.
Would be happy to describe the adjustable rod it that would help.

Basically there are a number of things that will use up that 5/8th" and
leave you without a clutch.

Good luck and let us know when you are engaged.  ;-)

Michael, St. Louis or thereabouts